In a local Ottawa story that speaks to the state of universities across Canada, Allan Rock was recently reappointed for a second term as President of the University of Ottawa, despite the university being embroiled in one scandal after another since he assumed the position in 2008. This is a blow to accountability at the university and, given his administration’s actions, sends a clear message to dissenters. But at least it exposes the farce that is the appointment process.
For anyone unfamiliar with the controversies, here’s a list:
- The firing of tenured professor Denis Rancourt, in violation of the principles of academic freedom. Emails which the university fought to keep secret also showed that they employed a student to spy on him.
- The arrest and banning of student activists from the university.
- The nomination of the then-dean of Education as worst workplace bully in the university the university newspaper- she quietly moved on soon afterward.
- The debacle of the Anne Coulter visit, in which Rock pretended he wasn’t involved. Later emails showed that he was the driving force behind “discouraging” her visit.
- A multi-million dollar lawsuit involving three Saudi doctors who were discriminated against, which was exposed in emails leaked to the entire university administration.